MainOrArchivePage>

The Write Word

Little Is Much (when it comes to dust)

“We are going to do a little sanding on the drywall” 
my super-duper-kitchen-redoer said. 
 It sounded innocent enough.  
I looked at the small patch to be sanded and
 didn’t give it another thought.  
But AFTER the sanding I have thought of little else.  
As it turns out, drywall compound, mud, sheet rock, 
or what ever the actual term for it is,  SHOULD have been called 
Sin Dust.  

Yup, indeed.  Sin Dust. 
Because just a wee little bit of it in the bucket, 
turns into a mountain when the sander gets hold of it. 

In spite of the careful taping, tar ping,
 covering and protecting, 
it has wormed it’s hateful self into
every nook and cranny of the room.  
And beyond.  
Long after the sanding is done and finished, 
the visible stuff vacuumed off, 
a fine grit swirls through the air
and lands right back on top 
of the just washed, wiped, mopped surface.  
Again.  
And again. 

Isn’t that just like sin?  
It doesn’t look all that harmful,
sitting there in its tempting little package.  
It doesn’t look like much.  
And even when you are slathering it up and 
slapping it on the wall of your heart/life 
it still doesn’t look like that big of a deal. 

It’s confined, manageable, even hideable.  
But then the twin carpenters, 
life and time
come along and get to sanding.  
And the effects begin to spread. 

They start showing up on
 every surface of our life.  
It affects our relationship with our family. 
 It shows up in our finances.  
It settles into the small cracks of our every word and action.  
It no longer is it a small, confined, manageable thing.  
It is out in the open, 
WAY out in the open. 
In short, it is everywhere.

I have two options, live with the grit.  
Or get rid of it.  
I can let it sit, ignored,
or I can get the water out
and get to scrubbing.

And I have to keep scrubbing.  
Today, tomorrow, next week, 
for as LONG as it takes. 

It won’t be a fast job, 
ridding my kitchen, 
or my life
of the grit.

I can scrub out bitterness by practicing forgiveness
(Mat 18:35).  
Wash away envy by practicing thankfulness
(Col 2:6,7).  
Mop up ungratefulness by wiping out complaining
 (Phil 2:14).
 It will be messy and it’s going to take awhile. 
But I know what to do.  
I can get out the Water of the Word
(Eph 5:26), 
and get to scrubbing.

So excuse me for awhile, 
I have some work to do.
rachelcoltharp.com